Physicians from around the world share insights and tips on brain health
New York, New York – June 24, 2020 – Sermo has released new physician insights to combat one of the world’s most devastating diseases: every 65 seconds someone in the U.S. develops Alzheimer’s disease and an estimated 5.8 million Americans of all ages were living with Alzheimer’s dementia in 2019. The Sermo poll was conducted in advance of Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month (June 2020) to spur discussions around how to best fight this global crisis.
Sermo’s data from over 500 physicians reveals:
- 74% said if a blood test to accurately predict Alzheimer’s before the onset of symptoms became available today, they would recommend it to patients.
- 58% are not optimistic that an effective drug for delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s will be on the market by 2025.
- Physicians also shared their top recommendations to help prevent Alzheimer’s:
- Aerobic exercise was top choice for U.S. doctors vs. cognitive stimulation for non-U.S. doctors
- Vascular risk reduction (e.g. controlling high BP) was the second highest recommendation
- 12% picked diet (such as Mediterranean diet and intermittent fasting)
- Less than 2% selected vitamins or supplements
“Brain awareness month is an important reminder to continue to surface the discussion around Alzheimer’s prevention, care and the collective efforts being made towards effective therapies,” noted Dr. Murali Doraiswamy, a professor and brain researcher at Duke University School of Medicine.
“Platforms like Sermo are crucial for providing key physician insights to help pave the future therapeutic and regulatory landscape in hopes of a treatment or cure,” said Peter Kirk, Chief Executive Officer of Sermo.
This poll of 513 physicians in 35 specialties from 32 countries was conducted in February/March 2020 via Sermo’s enhanced social platform. Poll limitations include sampling bias, confounding variables not measured and other factors. Estimated 95% confidence is +/- 4.4%. The poll infographic can be accessed here.
Sermo is the largest healthcare data collection company and social platform for physicians, reaching 800,000 physicians across 150 countries. The platform enables doctors to anonymously talk real-world medicine, review treatment options via our proprietary Drug Ratings platform, collectively solve patient cases, and participate in medical market research. For more information, visit sermo.com.
Racepoint Global on behalf of Sermo
+1 617 624 3264